What to do with this activity?
Talk to your child about how they are getting on with reading. If your child is struggling to understand what they read, it might help to suggest these tips to your child:
- Link the story to their own experience and things they know already. For example think about "The time I did...went...saw"
- Make a guess about what is coming up next in the story. For example "I think that next..."
- Pause every now and then to think back over what they’ve just read. This will help them realise if they have lost the meaning - then they can read back and check or ask somebody before reading on.
- Ask questions before, during and after reading. For example "I wonder why...?". Ask the questions that begin with "Who; what; where; when; and how" are useful.
- Think about how the characters or the place or thing might feel and why? Can they link the characters to people they know?
- Create a mental picture in their head of what is happening as they read.
Writing a note of the main point in a paragraph will help as well.
Why am I doing this?
It’s important to encourage whatever reading your child is doing at this age. Children have their own interests and hobbies so they will be more inclined to read information about these subjects. Having comics, papers or magazines around the house will make it easier for your child to get into reading. Your child might find it appealing to read online and you might like that the book can be read by an automated voice. E books can be looked at when you are on the move, making sure that your child is careful with your computer or phone.
How can I do more?
Your child might like to read a section of the newspaper or a magazine – the sports, fashion or cooking sections - depending on their interests. They might like to read a short piece from a newspaper and underline facts with a pen and opinion with a pencil. You can then talk about the difference between fact and opinion (there are good examples in sports writing). Encourage your child to read instructions for mending bikes, building models and playing new games.
Rate this activity
Based on 29 reviews
How would you rate it?
1 = Poor, 5 = Great.